Sunday, September 19, 2010

Summer Happenings: Vegas

We kept really busy this summer and I wasn't very good about posting pictures or updates about what we did...so here's a belated summer update, starting with Vegas.

At the end of June we went to Vegas for 4 days with our friends Mike and Carla Holz.



We stayed at the Paris and loved it--nice rooms for a good price, and you can't beat the location on the strip. We arrived in the afternoon on a Sunday and we able to get some quality pool time in before we went out and about. It was SO hot while we were there...usually between 105 and 110 during the day. As much of a sun-bather as I am, even I could only handle a couple hours of poolside sun at a time.

I think Patrick was a little skeptical about Vegas because he wasn't sure what we would actually DO for four days...but we kept plenty busy. From the airplane the strip looks pretty manageable, but you quickly find out that it takes a long time to walk from one hotel to the next and you really don't want to be walking out in the sun for more than 10 minutes at a time. We walked through most of the major hotels and stopped for slots or drinks along the way. The air-conditioning was FREEZING in most of the casinos, so it became an inside-outside game. (Kind of like my parents' cat Gunner.) Inside for 10 minutes, then out when you're too cold...then back inside when you're sweating again.

Some highlights:

Freaky giant bugs at the Bellagio

ABC Store in Vegas?! 

Gelato in the Venetian

Venetian canals

Mirage volcano

Makeshift cooler before the show

We saw Cheap Trick performing Sgt. Pepper Live--so good!

The guys

Fremont St. experience

Bus experience--quite interesting in Vegas


View from the top of the Vegas Eiffel Tower

My favorite slot of the week--Wizard of Oz! I think I broke even overall--had a couple of big wins. I considered breaking even a victory in a city designed to take your money.

We made a REALLY long outdoor trek one day.

After the trip, we decided that four days was about perfect--we got our money's worth for the flight (which was actually pretty cheap), but any longer than 4 days and we'd be Vegas'd out. We had fun and would go back. Let us know if you want to go. :)

Stay tuned for more summer updates.

1 comment: